30 August, 2010

In my August vase

What's in your August vase? - Noelle the azplantlady asks for her monthly meme. The lavender is lolling over the path. No access. When we went walking today we passed a garden where they had hacked back a wheelbarrow full of lavender clippings. Packed in bags and off to the dump - how ungrateful and ungracious. Even if it goes to compost or mulch - what a waste!

Lavender and Marguerite


Then there is the white marguerite daisy, planning on being A Tree next year. The cuttings of scented pelargonium I shoved in, in desperation, around the plums are also blocking the path. Yesterday I cut an armful and put the vase in the bathroom. Says himself - that's a waste, no one can see them.

August vase

Today I cut another armful, but these are for the living-room. I wanted it loose and exuberant, not the twee little rose-bud I usually have, when the roses are in full swing. Some flowers set back, some coming forward. Looks good to me, but I struggle to get the camera to focus on a layer that appeals to me.

August vase

A little frustrated with learning to see what the camera sees. Bijou still lives by Ingrid at Of Spring and Summer. Lime green of her hops echoing Hazeltree's 'fair maiden of the woodland'. He in turn echoes the lavender and gravel paths but with oh so much more grace and charm! Oh well practice makes perfect. I'll keep trying.

August armful

Against the deep blue wall in the kitchen
Just a quick post this time. We went to Clanwilliam to see spring flowers and that I will share later this week.

Pictures and words by Diana of Elephant's Eye

17 comments:

  1. Dear Diana of EE, Your informal arrangement of daisies is simply perfect. More and more that is how I enjoy seeing cut flowers rather than stiffly and formally presented in the mode of Constance Spry et al. Happily I do not have a camera so am untroubled about the techniques of taking photographs. A relief to me, I assure you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice flower arrangement. I find that I don't do a very good job arranging flowers. Plus I usually prefer to see them on the plant, covered with bees or producing seeds for the Goldfinches. Fortunately I can see into my garden from my desk and I do a lot of my work from home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a happiness in your homey arrangement that I love. I think it would bring a smile to anyone's face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your pictures are great! I especially love the ones of the daisies today.
    Cheers!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful Diana. I often can't bring myself to cut any flowers at all, but of course they can be different works of art in a vase than they are in the garden. I also find it very difficult to get good photos of flower arrangements. Yours are masterful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana - Lovely photos! The composition is great; the collage structure looks frame-able!

    I also wanted you to know that I put a link to your blog in my latest post. I've been garden blogging since February this year and it's been an amazing experience on the 'Blogosphere'. I included blogs that have influenced me. Thank you! --Shyrlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Diana,

    Your bouquet is just so lovely :-)

    I love the marguerites especially. I think that I must include them in my cutting garden.

    Your backdrop looks just beautiful. Thank you so much for participating :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning photo arrangements, Diana! The last against the deep blue wall is super ... wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Diana! The bouquets are really delivate and the colours are beautiful. I rarely collect flowers from the garden to arrange them in a vase but when autumn is knocking at the door, I tend to bring some in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Diana, Sorry I haven't stopped by lately, but I have been out of range i.e. no email connection. I didn't participate this month, but enjoyed seeing your bouquets. Your photography is stunning. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Diana!! I love daisies ... they are such happy innocent flowers... all flowers are innocent of course but there is just something about a daisy. I love the natural romantic way your arrange them with the lavender and pelargonium. Just beautiful! ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Diana, my favorite is the last one against the blue of your kitchen... it would look very nice in a frame. Having fun with your new camera?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Diana, your arrangements are so lovely. I always have trouble photographing no matter what I'm shooting so I just keep hammering away at it. Jen's talents behind a camera always put me to shame. Laughed when you put the flowers in the bathroom. My bouquets always seem to end up there but I also do laundry in that room so see them regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pictures are delightful! And I always put flowers in the bathroom - a little nosegay by the sink because that's all I have room for. But if I could I'd put a big bouquet there to look at while I wash my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Diana,

    Daisies are some of my favorite flowers and I love the fragrance of lavender. They look great together. Thank you so much for participating in this month's MGB :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Found you from the Dona Nobis Pacem. I love your site. I’m going to poke around a little bit, but don’t worry I’ll put everything back where I found it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely lovely peace post. Thank you for participating.

    You are #1820 in the Official Peace Globe gallery at blogblastforpeace.com and in the FB albums.

    Peace to you and yours,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Photographs and Copyright

Photographs are from Diana Studer or Jurg Studer.
My Canon PowerShot A490

If I use your images or information, it will be clearly acknowledged with either a link to the website, or details of the book. If you use my images or words, I expect you to acknowledge them in turn.


Midnight in Darkest Africa

Midnight in Darkest Africa
For real time, click on the map.