Plants

You remember that plant as somewhere in this blog ... If you know the name, you can use the search box at the top of this blog.

The very briefest description - to help you find that elusive plant again - is listed on my new False Bay blog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First Exotic plants. That is NOT South African, but mostly common-or-garden. Roses. We have about 20.

Invasive Alien - SEEK AND DESTROY - Paterson's Curse pretty flower? NO!! Echium plantagineum. Purple Viper's Bugloss

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SOUTH AFRICAN plants 

Some from the mediterranean climate fynbos region. Fynbos is the South African version of what California calls chaparral, The Mediterranean basin calls maquis or garrigue, Australia calls kwongan (EucalyptusMelaleuca, Acacia, Banksia and Hakea), and Chile calls matorral.

Tree - Acacia fever-tree-umbrella-thorn-mimosa-Port Jackson with shimmering lime green bark

Groundcover - Arctotis candida. Wild annual daisy harvester-ants-and-malmesbury-gousblom

Pond plant - Typha capensis. Common or garden  bulrush-or-bullrush

Words by Diana of Elephant's Eye



2 comments:

  1. Errr " Australia calls mallee scrub"
    the Mallee is inland territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. William - help me out and I'll edit it. I am simply quoting what I read. What would Australians call the vegetation that grows in a mediterranean climate, like our fynbos?

    ReplyDelete

Photographs and Copyright

Photographs are from Diana Studer or Jurg Studer.
My Canon PowerShot A490

If I use your images or information, it will be clearly acknowledged with either a link to the website, or details of the book. If you use my images or words, I expect you to acknowledge them in turn.


Midnight in Darkest Africa

Midnight in Darkest Africa
For real time, click on the map.