07 April, 2012

The broken apostrophe


Dear Google, blogspot, Blogger,

It is not my style to go effing and blinding across the interwebz. Sadly, ever since your engineers enabled REPLY on our blogspot comments, my apostrophe is broken.

Above on my own blog, with REPLY enabled
Below, as we were!

On the blogspots which have not yet enabled REPLY, I comment as Elephant’s Eye. The elephant in the room is mortified when, on blogspots who like mine – have followed Google's instructions, my well-intentioned comments appear in the thread as Elephant’s effing Eye.
Someone geek/nerd has kindly explained to me that it is HTML. NOT expletive deleted. But in a chunk of commonorgarden English, I am leaving blinding comments.

Please Google? Could the engineer/s tweak the code and return my apostrophe? Wordpress does it right.

On the other hand Waterstones-ditches-apostrophe.
And I have admitted defeat. In future I will comment as Diana Studer of Elephants Eye, with an unseen apostrophe! PS January 2013 - Diana Studer.

Hadeda ibis bathing

Hadeda ibis are notoriously noisy, and I shall whine on hopefully. Madam and Eve is a Jo’burg based cartoon in our Cape Town newspaper. We used to ask – what’s a hadeda? Now they have found their way to us, we hear them and ‘weep’.

Working on Fire helicopter
The sun veiled by thick smoke

Readers who share our mediterranean climate know that fire is a part of our life. Between runaway wheat stubble fires, idiots with cigarette ends, and lightning starting fires on the mountain – we now have a Working on Fire helicopter with a huge water bucket based at our tiny airstrip in Porterville.

blogspot URL with dotcom, fr, nz

From Greater London b-a-g experiments-with-plants asked about weird URLs on our blogs. Support.google.com/blogger and mybloggertricks blogger-blogs-redirected-to-country. Statcounter now crunches my stats into bite-seized pieces, first the dotcom, then each country code as it comes up. 

Weird spikes in blog stats

Don’t get too excited about HUGE spikes in your stats. It is referer spam. Then there was the day Google blocked my account, and we had to jump thru hoops - cellphone, SMS the code.

Hadeda ibis preening on the jetty after a bath

After an exuberant bath, the hadeda did some preening on the jetty.

Did you click on the links I found for you?

They say – I never look at my stats any more. But I want to know. Are my readers clicking on the links embedded in my posts? Which site did they come from? What keywords did they use? What did they download?

Nature Blog Network stats average out over 10 days

Once were Blotanists will know, that the coder Stuart employed for Version 2, has left us all in limbo. We are still hoping … But meantime I thought I’d try Nature Blog Network with Rosie of leaves 'n blooms. I battled with the CAPTCHA, till they changed it. Gives me a useful third set of pageview stats between Blogger’s and Statcounter’s. 

January sunset

Back to Blotanical, where I found most of my blogs and readers. I have deleted all my faves there (Stuart said the system would change). Following Jean's advice I use Google Reader. Going to Blotanical to read messages. After a hissy fit about wasting my time picking posts for people who are never on Blotanical … I now make a point of picking from the busy busy list. We are interested and active.









Pictures by Jurg and Diana, 
words by Diana of  Elephant's Eye 
- wildlife gardening in Porterville, near Cape Town in South Africa
(If you mouse over brown text, it turns shriek pink. Those are my links.) 

31 comments:

  1. I suppose we should be grateful that Blogger is free of charge ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are! And I do see problems with other blog hosts, and other commenting systems ...

      Delete
  2. Diana I am happy to be back to a very active Blotanical. It may have its issues but I do love it. I am a bit miffed about comments on both Blogger (with the crazy Captcha you have to get through) and Wordpress that requires you to log into Wordpress or something else...my blog uses Akismet and it gets all the spam. These code changes can be so frustrating as you know. Love you autumn sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had some referer spam this past week. Didn't know exactly what it was - thanks for the identification. The worry over fires I completely understand. I'm always worried someone will throw a cigarette out along our road. We see these types of fires started every summer quite often along the highway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post... I am beginning to get a bit disappointed with blogger especially with the Captcha thingy... that thing is really irritating... yes, blogger is free, and so are the others and I think users do appreciate them all... still there is this, but... but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if that Captcha rears its ugly head here, please tell me!

      If it is on a friendly blog, here's help
      http://stupidblogtricks.blogspot.com/2011/12/turn-off-comment-word-verification.html

      I prefer to moderate your comments.

      Delete
  6. As you know I use Wordpress and am basically very happy, Leaving comments on Blogspot can be frustrating as it doesn't pick up who I am by itself. But it must be good that there is competition! Keep up the great posts, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see what you mean about the apostrophe -- I had to chuckle. I like to check all my stats too, although perhaps it is more cool to say you don't. I was away in March and need to get back to my Blotanical faves. Also, will catch up and do two 'Dozen for Diana' picks in April. (Enjoyed the Madam and Eve link, BTW)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you posted your questions/concerns here?
    https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!forum/blogger

    All these changes can be frustrating, but some that I have asked about have slowly been answered and fixed.

    I won't even try to leave comments that have word verification on them, I'm getting annoyed that Wordpress wants me to sign in as I don't have a Wordpress blog. But now I pretend I do just to sign in.

    The squeeky wheel gets the oil, so keep trying to solve your issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am not alone in whining about broken apostrophes ;~) I enjoy that signing in to WP to comment tells me if an earlier comment has a reply. A la the infamous hadeda, I shall screech on.

      Delete
  9. Dear Diana, thank you for interspersing the technical stuff with lovely photos of ibis(es?) and sunset. Awfully frustrating things do happen on the internet as well as wonderful things, don't they? There does seem to be a revolution brewing against Captcha. Should we start another movement to support lost punctuation marks? cheers, cm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click the Waterstones link, I was gobsmacked to read there is an Apostrophe Society.

      Delete
  10. I just noticed that it doesn't happen in the body of your posts. Your friend was right about something being wrong with the code. Is there any way for you to reply other than WYSIWYG?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could try Anonymous or Open ID but then I lose the blog link?

      Delete
    2. If you're currently replying with your Google ID, you can try Name/URL. Hopefully that works for you.

      Delete
    3. testing name/URL as Bom suggests

      Delete
  11. Ah, technology! I loved your photos,especially the sunset. I just keep plodding along on blotanical. I hope improvements will come. I am grateful for all the great garden blogs I have found there, including yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Google is trying to control everything we do and tell us how to do it. We need a real alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad your area has a little more fire protection now, Diana--hopefully all those well trained people from Working on Fire are twiddling their thumbs, though, and not having too much work to do! My sister in SE New Mexico had a grass fire come within a few hundred feet of their house last year.
    Found a recording of the hadeda--is the call always that sudden and loud? I'd be startled out of chair every time. Glad to see your pond is so full, even after the summer! The sunset photo is wonderful, especially as those do look like rain clouds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hadedas tend to fly over in groups, each bird yelling to be heard over the heated argument!

      Delete
  14. Ah, you're a poet and don't know it!
    Enabled reploy
    and broke the apostrophe in Elephant's Eye!

    Yeah, ain't technology grand. That's what I love about gardens, I just get to make my own mess.

    ;->

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is most annoying! All sorts of funny things happened when I downloaded the new version of Internet Explorer so I managed to uninstall it and now things are better again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Google Chrome, update it each Wednesday. But my drag and drop in the bookmarks broke, so updated again.

      Delete
  16. Um, ok. I haven't even enabled Reply. Didn't even know its there but will check it out right now. You are so much more clued up on all the stats stuff than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shots of this ibis.....I think it's one of the most amazing birds around to see in any form....nice captures:) I think I got an ibis on my last trip but I have to verify the information.
    As for your issues with this system and blotanical.....It's definitely changed since last year and has its up ands downs. I like reading the stats because it's fun to see what posts are being read and viewed:) All my best. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  18. It does seem as if all this technical stuff is sometimes making our life harder, not easier. I hope things improve, and I hope you get your apostrophe back. I am still using Blotanical, but I feel as if things are in limbo. There has not been any news lately.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how I love technology! All our smart tools making us look dumb. Spell check often flips my words to say things I didn't intend, so I definitely understand your concern over the missing apostrophe. Looking at lots of writing out there we truly are in the age of the missing apostrophe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got so disgusted with the apostrophe being changed to 'curse words' I am now using just my first name in the Name portion of the form. Then I put my blog name in the comment itself. Maybe you should try that, Diana
    Great bird photos!
    Wonderful sunset!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Right! I have hidden the apostrophe, but you and I know it is there.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Diana, you are so much more savvy about all of the changes that are happening. I'm just plodding along and am so thankful for people like you who can explain this stuff to me :) Thanks. Absolutely gorgeous sunset you captured there!

    ReplyDelete

Come, serendip with us at G+

Photographs and Copyright

Photographs are from Diana Studer or Jurg Studer.
His Panasonic Lumix FZ100 (info from Panasonic)
My Canon PowerShot A490 (info from Canon)

If I use your images or information, it will be clearly acknowledged with either a link to the website, or details of the book. If you use my images or words, I expect you to acknowledge them in turn.


Midnight in Darkest Africa

Midnight in Darkest Africa
For real time, click on the map.